This is the exact scalloped potato recipe I make every Christmas for the extended fam, but modified to be low carb/NSNG with the substitution of cauliflower.
To be honest with you, making this dish with cauliflower is so much easier than making it with potatoes, and as such using cauliflower, it doesn’t have to be a holiday side dish. You can make it weeknights to go with any meat, preferably steak. The fam will think you’re a rockstar chef. It might have something to do with the copious amounts of cheese and cream.
- Feel free to sub any cruciferous veg you want in this dish: Brussels sprouts or broccoli would be fab.
- You can add chopped mushrooms for additional savory umami goodness.
- You can sub your fave dairy free cheese and coconut cream to make this dairy free, it will still taste fantastic!
- To mimic the look of scalloped potatoes, you are welcome to slice each cauliflower floret thinly on the verical and lay in the pan in a scalloped pattern. But I’ve found cauliflower to crumble apart easily, so feel free to just chop into pieces and proceed with the recipe accordingly.
- 1 large head cauliflower, chopped into 1” pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Swiss, Emmenthaler, or Gruyère cheese
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay cauliflower pieces and onion in a 9x12 baking dish, casserole pan, or Pyrex. Season well with salt and pepper. Toss in pan with grated cheddar and Swiss cheeses. Drizzle heavy cream over cauliflower mixture and bake, uncovered for 45 minutes, or until cauliflower is cooked through and cheese is bubbly and starting to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes. Serve garnished with parsley.